To provide a forum wherein Physicians and Students of medicine may come together, to their mutual benefit, in a brotherhood seeking the development of the higher qualities of medicine; of nobler impulses of heart; of more profound scholastic achievement; of devotion to the art and science of medicine; and of a communion of kindred hearts pledged to support each other in times of joy, as well as adversity.
Grand Chapter Officers
Shilpen Patel, MD
Chairperson of the Executive Trustees,
Editor-in-Chief of the Phi Chi Chronicles
Lawrence LeBlond, MD
Kailyn Adam, MD
Grand Presiding Senior
Grand Presiding Junior
Member at Large
Chioma Onyejiaka. MD
Advisory Council Members
Dr. Richard Bean
Dr. Chris O'Brien
Phi Chi Symbols
Name and Motto
Many futile attempts have been made to ascertain why the name Phi Chi was chosen. Irvin Abell, Alpha (Southern Fraternity; now Alpha Alpha), is of the opinion that the letters represented the motto "Philia Charitos" but he does not recall when or why or by whom the words were introduced. This revelation was made to Herbert Bronner, Gamma (Southern Fraternity; now Alpha Alpha), a year after the 1903 convention had accepted the present exoteric motto "Phthanomen Chrasimein" (Φθνομεν-Χραιομειν).
First Phi Chi Crest
Prior to the use of the Coat of Arms, the the Phi and Chi were entwined and called the “Crest.”
1st Official Membership Badge of Phi Chi (South)
The design of the pledge button was changed at the time of the Pi Mu Honor Society merger in 1922 to honor the Pi Mu honor system. The badge of Pi Mu, a Greek cross carrying the skull and crossbones in addition to the Greek letters ΠΜ, by agreement became Phi Chi's pledge button with the substitution of a caduceus and the letters ΦΧ in silver on a field of green.
The original pledge button of the Fraternity was a square top of silver with the escutcheon of the coat-of-arms in white on a field of green.
COAT OF ARMS
During the 1915 Grand Chapter meeting, the first Coat of Arms was adapted yet the design can be traced back to the 1908 bylaws and used in Louisville in 1902.
The first membership pin design was discussed at the first meeting of October 26, 1894, of the Southern Fraternity. “Roman gold ground, white enamel letters and design (caduceus), with border of alternating rubies and pearls.” The badge was changed in 1896, adapted in 1897, by William J. Foley to consist of “A gold skull with the cross bones and fraternity colors in a bow of ribbon below the bones in enamel. The initial of the college shall be placed between the bones and letters Phi and Chi shall be upon the forehead (of the skull); the eyes to be rubies.”
Current Membership Badge
2nd Official Membership Badge of Phi Chi (South)
Adapted during the XXXI Grand Chapter Meeting in 1949. Described to be the present official badge (or a scaled replica) fastened to a metal base of polished gold. These keys are available as Honor Awards.
Adapted in 1913, the official pennant shall be a green felt field tapering to a point. In white felt shall be a skull and crossbones over a monogram of Phi and Chi; a white line shall divide this design from the words PHI CHI in white, tapering.
Adapted in 1916, the flag of the Fraternity shall be rectangular in form, the length being twice the width. It shall be made of two squares, one of white to be on the inner side and one of olive green to be on the outer side. On the white field shall be a green star; on the green field shall be a white star. In the center, equally on both fields, shall be a golden yellow caduceus surmounted by a star of the same color.
On October 17, 1896, the fraternal colors of olive green and white were adapted.
Lily-of-the-valley with leaves was adapted as the official flower in 1897.
The symbol is a representation of the Adult Tiger Beetle (Cicindela patruela). The body is metallic green with white spots and we have added the gold Phi Chi. This species is one of the most beautiful Tiger Beetles and its range appears to be throughout Merriam's transition zones from Vermont, south to the Georgia mountains and westward to Wisconsin. Its time of appearance is from June to September and its number varies considerably from place to place. The Doodle Bug frequents various habitats from Cape Cod to Martha's Vineyard to some of the sand dunes of other lakes, shady paths, hills, and in some open wooded areas throughout its distribution.
They are capable of flying and running swiftly, making them very difficult to capture. Because of their speed and activity, they have been adopted by the Fraternity as a symbol for enthusiasm. In Phi Chi, "Doodle" stands for enthusiasm and this symbol serves to remind us that to be successful we must also be enthusiastic.“Doodle” was adopted as official Grand Chapter Slogan in December, 1910, by Lorenzo F. Luckie. The design is first seen in the Phi Chi Quarterly in 1911, by Theodore B. Pearson. Ralph E. Duncan identified it with the tiger beetle in 1919.