STATUTE III -- GRAND CHAPTER
(a) At a regular meeting, not later than six (6) weeks prior to a Grand Chapter meeting, each chapter shall elect a delegate and an alternate delegate thereto. The chapter Secretary shall, without delay, forward to the Grand Secretary-Treasurer on an official Grand Chapter report form, the name, address, class and any other requested information regarding the delegate and alternate delegate.
(b) In the event of a change of delegate or alternate, notification of such change shall be given the Grand Secretary-Treasurer immediately.
(a) Delegates to the Grand Chapter shall present written credentials of election to the proper committee of the Grand Chapter before they shall be recognized as members of the Grand Chapter.
(b) Credentials shall be in the following form:
This is to certify that Member ______________________ has been regularly elected to represent._____________ of Phi Chi in the ________ Grand Chapter of The Phi Chi Medical Fraternity, Inc., and is entitled to all honors and privileges appertaining thereto. Given in the City of _____________ State or Province of ________, this ____ day of ________, 20___
(c) No delegate shall be recognized by the Grand Chapter unless the Credentials Committee has certified to the Grand Secretary-Treasurer that the member is entitled to a seat in the Grand Chapter and has answered to his/her name when called by the Grand Secretary-Treasurer.
SECTION 3: Voting by proxy in the Grand Chapter shall not be permitted.
SECTION 4: Members present in the Grand Chapter sessions who are not included among the officers, delegates or members of committees shall be called “Visiting Members" and shall be privileged to speak on any motion, but not to offer a motion or be permitted to vote.
(a) The Grand Presiding Senior and the Grand Secretary-Treasurer shall be the Chairperson and Secretary of the Grand Chapter Convention, respectively. In absence of the former, the chair shall pass to the Grand Presiding Junior and in absence of the Grand Presiding Junior to the next ranking official of the Executive Trustees present, or in absence of all the Executive Trustees, the Grand Chapter shall elect a temporary chairperson. Should the Grand Secretary-Treasurer be absent, the presiding officer of the Grand Chapter shall appoint a member to act for the Grand Secretary-Treasurer.
(b) Under no circumstances shall the Grand Secretary-Treasurer, as such, become the presiding officer of the Grand Chapter.
As soon as practical after the Grand Chapter assembles, the presiding
officer may appoint one (1) or more, with advice of the Grand
Secretary-Treasurer, committees as follows:
(b) If committees are not appointed, the Grand Chapter will by default act as a Committee-of-the-Whole.
(c) The Grand Secretary-Treasurer, by the authority vested by the Constitution, shall be the Secretary of the Grand Chapter committees, but others may be appointed to serve as an assistant on any of the committees during the session for which the committees are appointed.
(d) Each Grand Chapter Committee shall make at least a partial report not later than twenty-four (24) hours after appointment, unless the time for making said reports is extended by a vote of the Grand Chapter.
SECTION 7: The order of procedure at each meeting
of the Grand Chapter shall be as follows:
This order may be changed by a majority vote of
the Grand Chapter.
SECTION 8: The Grand Chapter shall not enact any legislation until a complete report shall have been received from the Committee on Credentials if appointed.
SECTION 9: Resolutions presented to the Grand Chapter for adoption must be in writing, signed by the members offering them, and unless disposed of otherwise, shall be referred without motion to the Resolutions Committee if appointed. This Committee shall return the resolutions with written reports and recommendations, favorable or unfavorable, to the Grand Chapter for final action.
SECTION 10: All motions must be in writing if demanded by the Secretary of the meeting.
SECTION 11: Unless otherwise prescribed in the Constitution and Statutes, a majority vote of the official delegates and officers of the Grand Chapter present and entitled to vote when the vote is taken, and when a quorum is present, shall be sufficient for any legislation, election or judicial action by the Grand Chapter.
SECTION 12: Unless otherwise prescribed in the resolution or amendment itself, every enactment of the Grand Chapter shall be effective from and after its passage.
(a) The Official Banquet of the Grand Chapter shall be held on either the first or the second night of the Grand Chapter meeting.
(b) The formal toasts and addresses delivered at the banquet shall become the property of the Fraternity and available for publication in the Phi Chi CHRONICLES
SECTION 14: The expenses of the officers of the Grand Chapter meeting shall be defrayed by the Central Office of Phi Chi.
(a) The Grand Chapter may, at its discretion, provide an award of fifty dollars ($50) for each new and original Phi Chi Song submitted to and approved by it.
(b) The award shall be divided equally between the chapter submitting the song and its composer, i.e., twenty-five dollars ($25) to each.
(c) To be eligible for the award, both the chapter and the composer must certify that the composition is original and that no portion of the words or music has been taken from any copyrighted material.
(d) In submitting the composition and accepting the award, the chapter and the composer grants the Fraternity full rights and privileges to copyright the words and music in the name of The Phi Chi Medical Fraternity, Inc.
SECTION 16: The Grand Chapter establishes the following awards:
The Eben J. Carey, M.D., Award in Anatomy;
(a) The Eben J. Carey, M.D., Award shall be presented annually, to the freshman member of each Phi Chi Chapter having the highest grade in anatomy.
(1) The award shall be presented by the Chapter and shall consist of a parchment provided by Central Office.
(2) A plaque bearing the likeness of Eben J. Carey, M.D., in bronze, mounted thereon, and bearing beneath it, metal plates on which shall be engraved the name of the awarded, and the year, shall be provided at cost to the Chapters by the Central Office. This plaque is to be prominently displayed in the Chapter House.
(b) The Michael J. Carey, M.D., Award shall be presented annually, to the most outstanding senior class member of each chapter.
(1) The award shall consist of a parchment, or the recipient may purchase a marble block at cost from the Central Office, bearing thereon a platter, suitably inscribed.
(c) The Chapter Editor's Award shall be given to the Chapter Editor who submits the best article for publication to the Central Office.
(1) The awardee is selected by the Editor-in-Chief, and shall consist of a parchment, or the recipient may purchase a marble block at cost from the Central Office, bearing a suitable inscription and twenty-five dollars.
(d) The Author's Award shall be given to the author for the most outstanding literary contribution to the National publication in any one year.
(1) The awardee shall be chosen by the Editor-in-Chief, and confirmed by the Executive Trustees.
(2) Only one award shall be given annually for each volume of the publication.
(3) The award shall consist of a parchment, or the recipient may purchase a marble block at cost from the Central Office, bearing thereon a plate, suitably inscribed and $100.00.
(e) The Rudy F. Sievers, M.D., Ph. D., Service Award, shall be presented annually to the most outstanding member of each Phi Chi Chapter, based upon the awardee's outstanding service to the Chapter, to the Chapter spirit, to the Fraternity, to the facility, or outstanding service by an alumnus.
(1) The award shall consist of a suitably inscribed parchment, provided by the Central Office.
(2) A plaque, bearing the name of Rudy F. Sievers, M.D., Ph.D., together with a brief description of the award shall be provided at cost to the Chapters by the Central Office. Beneath the inscription shall be metal plates upon which the name of the awardee shall be engraved together with the date.
(f) T. B. Pearson, M.D., Award, shall be granted to the most outstanding chapters in any year. This award may be conferred, either by the Grand Chapter or by the Executive Trustees, at their discretion. It need not be awarded annually.
(1) This award shall be judged upon a chapters promptness in all matters concerning the Central Office, it's fraternal spirit, it's growth, and contributions to the Fraternity as a whole.
(2) It shall consist of a parchment or plaque available at cost to the Chapter from the Central Office, bearing the Arms of the Fraternity, and reading: The T. B. Pearson, M.D., Award for the most outstanding Chapter of The Phi Chi Medical Fraternity, Inc. is presented to the ( ) Chapter, by the Grand Chapter of Phi Chi, AD (date), and in the year of the Fraternity, ( ). The awards shall be consecutively numbered.
(g) The Albert B. Saunders, M.D., Chapter Recruitment Award shall be presented to one individual, of The Phi Chi Medical Fraternity, Inc., who helps create or re-establish a previously inactive Phi Chi Chapter.
(1) The award shall consist of a suitably inscribed parchment provided by the Central Office.
(2) The award will also consist of providing transportation to the next Grand Chapter Meeting.
(h) Phi Chi Medical Fraternity Distinguished Research Award
(1) Awarded to a Phi Chi member who has demonstrated persistent dedication in academic research, culminating in exceptional, demonstrated, progress in their research field.
(2) Eligibility, application criteria, procedure and evaluation/review are determined by the Executive Trustees.
(i) The Daniel H. Cannon, M.D., Leadership Award and Scholarship
(1) This award is presented to members that are chosen by their chapters to attend the national Grand Chapter meeting in recognition of their demonstrated leadership role.
(2) The amount of the scholarship is to be determined by the Executive Trustees.
(j) The Central Office shall mail to each Chapter, by January 1, the blanks upon which to report their selections for the Eben J. Carey, M.D., and the Michael J. Carey, M.D., Awards so they may be prepared for presentation, by you, on Founders Day; and the Rudy F. Sievers, M.D., Ph.D., Awards by April of each year.
SECTION 17: Due to financial limitations, the decision to hold the Phi Chi Grand Chapter meeting outside of North America will be at the discretion of the Executive Trustees.
This page was last updated on:
April 12, 2015